Aldeia do ArtesãoArtisan Village
Aldeia do Artesão is a nature park of 200,000m2, with 800m of river bank, water meadows, orchards, rocky outcrops with stunning views, and a footbridge that will link it to the restaurant and the camping park. It is classified as a Tourist Village, and it will have twenty-seven dwelling units, a reception with café, a recreation area with a natural swimming pool, kids play areas and picnic areas. The construction program will begin in 2018, and off-plan sales are already underway. Our first buyers have chosen a spectacularly located four bed villa called “Os Carvalhos”, or “The Oaks.”
Owners can choose to be residents or to rent their home to vacation guests through our booking and rental service, to earn an income. The rental option will make these homes a good investment, with the option to move here at some stage in the future. For buyers looking for an investment property, but with a preference for ecological and natural building, and if they love nature and want to be part of an exciting rural regeneration project, there could be no better choice than to become an owner in The Artisan Village.
- Nine one-bed eco-studios
- Nine two bed eco-cottages
- Nine four bed eco-villas.
Each dwelling will face south, with large patio doors, private gardens and spectacular views of the Serra da Estrela mountains.They have been designed for elegance and efficiency. The heating systems will be super efficient ground source heat pumps, with open fire places or wood burning stoves to provide that special focus on winter evenings. Domestic water will be pumped from a bore hole to large underground deposits above the houses, and then delivered by gravity to the homes. The insulation material will be cork, and the roof structures will be wood and traditional Portuguese clay tiles.The waste water systems will be linked into large reed beds, carefuly designed into the landscape to enhance biodiversity. Rain water capturing systems will provide natural irrigation for orchards and woodlands.
The principal building material we have chosen for these constructions is Compressed Earth Blocks. In Portugal, there is a long tradition of building with Taipa or rammed earth. We will select local earth, with precisely the right composition of clay and sand, and create blocks in a hydraulic press which are perfectly uniform, and with consistent and reliable technical properties.
In many parts of the world, spectacular buildings were crafted entirely from Earth.
The Properties of homes built from earth
- They have high thermal mass – so they stay cool in the summer, and warm in the winter.
- They feel organic – the walls breathe, and the air and moisture levels are perfect for living
- Earth is the ultimate “local material.” In our case, it comes from the valley!
- Low embodied energy
- For more information about this amazing building system, view here.
Discover the Beira Alta region!
- Undisturbed nature and wilderness trails
- Granite bouldering, mountain biking, endless hiking.
- Ancient caminhos linking the medieval castle towns of Trancoso, Linhares da Beira and many others
- The Serra da Estrela mountain peaks are only 30km away
- Mountain gastronomy – goat and sheep cheese, many surprises and delights!
- Fornos de Algodres, Celorico da Beira, Trancoso, Mangualde, Guarda, Gouveia, and Viseu – all nearby.
- The surfing beaches of Aveiro only 2 hours away by road.
- Rail and bus links to Coimbra, Porto and Lisbon.